Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Desert is HOT!!

In stark contrast to the cold, wet weather of northern California, SoCal was warm and arid.  Temps were in the 80's and 90's, but didn't actually seem too hot.  I hear it's the humidity, not the heat, or something. 

It took three days to cross California,  sleeping near Lake Cuyamaca my first night, Brawley the second night, and Quartzite, AZ my third night.  252 total miles at that point.  Maybe going a little too fast.  My knees kind of hurt.  Was happy to get out of California, though.

Photos-

Crosses on the top the mountain, just south of Julian, CA.  Then looking east from the same location, down at the valley I was about to descend into.  The Salton Sea is barely visible, around 35 miles away.  (I hear there are all kinds of birds there, but I only saw one duck.) Palm trees in Brawley, dunes outside of Glamis, and stolen water from the Colorado River, used to grow crops near Palo Verde.

No comments:

Post a Comment