Thursday, April 29, 2010

New Mexico... Also Hilly

Emory Pass didn't kill me.  I ate a huge breakfast of huevos rancheros, followed up by yogurt and nuts before leaving Silver City kind of late.  It was about 20 miles or so before the steeps hit, then another 15 to the top.  The preparation (eating a bunch of food) worked great, and the climb up to 8,200 was no problem.  From the viewpoint at the top of the pass, I could see the Rio Grande valley stretching out to the north and south, as well as the 25-mile downhill I was about to ride.  A beautiful sight.

After a night camping next to a little river, I pedaled on to Las Cruces, a downhill ride of around 80 miles.  Unluckily for me, and strong wind was blowing out of the south, and for much of that ride my max speed was only 10 to 12 mph. 

Camping at an RV park in Las Cruces, I met Jan and Irene, an amazing pair of ladies from Michigan.  Jan was riding to San Diego from Florida, and Irene was driving a minivan in support.  We shared stories and breakfast snacks before I took off for TX.  Jan has a great blog here, with many stories from her three months on the road so far.

Photos- Santa Rita Mine, a couple from the top of Emory Pass, one from late in the day during my descent, the mighty Rio Grande, pecan groves, and Jan and Irene.

2 comments:

  1. what's your rig, and how is it going mechanically?

    -record show alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rig is an '84 or '85 Specialized Sequoia. Mostly original, except for a new back wheel- Phil Wood freewheel hub on an Open Pro, bar-end shifters, and some noodle bars. Headset is done, but everything else is rolling strong.

    ReplyDelete