Friday, April 30, 2010

Texas! Storms! Caves!

Las Cruces, NM to El Paso, TX brought me into the eye of the storm.  A big, WINDY, cold, rainy storm.  Also with hail and blowing sand.  I had met a fellow cyclist who was riding sections of the route I was on a few nights back, this guy Dean.  He was travelling in his truck with his bike, and was in El Paso the day I rolled in.  Due to the weather, we decided to meet up, wait out the storm and see some sights until biking was possible again. 

We camped out in Guadalupe Mountains National Park that night.  Still had 30- to 40- mph winds, so I had to put big rocks inside of my tent to keep it on the ground. Even then, it was folded over on top of me for most of the night.  Very relaxing.  We then toured Carlsbad Caverns the next day.  It was not windy in the caves.

Photos-

Sunrise and storms on the Guadalupes and cave features.

3 comments: