Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rollin' Dirty to Flagstaff

Arizona is rugged.  The views are beauty, people are friendly, and the food is tasty- had probably the most cheese-filled omelet of my life on Congress, and homemade salsa at a little bar in Aguila, but this basin and range shit is brutal.  Long, gradual up-hills, grinding at 7 mph, grading into steep, 2,000-foot climbs.  The descents have to be some of the most fun I have ever done though.  Dropping 3,500 feet over five miles, with switch-backs, narrow lanes, and big drops over the edge makes for excitement!

I did slow my pace, and am enjoying the ride despite whining about the climbs.  The steep ones are actually fun, I have been shifting up a couple gears and getting out of the saddle.  It seems like it uses my muscles a little differently, and I go a couple mph faster.  Like 7 instead of 5. 

Made it to Flagstaff in three days from Quartzite, camping out in the bush north of Aguila, and in the Granite Dells outside of Prescott along the way.  Last day was 85 miles, with two climbs over 2,000 feet each.  Was a bit of a push to get up from Sedona to Flagstaff.  Made it though.

Have been resting at my friend Katie's, with her rad roommates Ray, Nicole, Danielle, and lil Dylan.  Thanks dudes!!  Katie cooked up some amazing lasagna for my arrival.  So good.

Back on the road soon; planning to head southeast, along some back-roads for a bit.  Map shows some lakes.  May have to do some swimmin.  Wooo!

Photos-

Arizona farmland, sunset from my tent, stars, morning sun on the rocks, sky, crows circling, Hwy 71, 6,100 feet- almost to the top, about to descend into Jerome and Cottonwood, rocks near Sedona, and a volcano north of Flagstaff.

3 comments:

  1. Great photos, Nels. Would love to see a shot of the bike, fully loaded....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it!!!! I demand a bound photo album once your travels are finished.

    keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O. So. Beautiful.

    Way to go, Nels.

    ReplyDelete